Monday, September 21, 2009

Hard-Working Dog

Thomas has never liked small dogs very much. He thinks that they're always yappy and badly behaved. When I got Tarzan last Christmas I made a promise to myself that my little dog would not fit the annoying-small-dog stereotype.

Tarzan doesn't bark, he loves to play fetch, he doesn't wear clothes, he's totally potty trained, and he likes the outdoors.

The one thing missing for my well-behaved dog was professional training. So, over the past few months Thomas and I have been taking our dog to a beginner training Class. In this class he has learned all the basics that all well-behaved dogs need.

He has learned a ton of new commands such as sit, lay down, stay, and come. As well as other commands that are less common but equally useful: take it, leave it, no or uh-uh, and wait.

These classes also focused on doggie etiquette: greeting other dogs politely, playing nicely with other dogs /children, and not jumping up on people when they pet him.

Next week he will begin the intermediate class. We are very excited for the next step in Tarzan's training. Congratulations buddy!

5 comments:

Emily Jones said...

Was there ever a dog more loved than you, Tarzan? Congratulations!

The Laters said...

You must be so proud!

Unknown said...

Cute cute Tarzan. My kids loved seeing him at Christmas. Sounds like he's becoming a very good little guy.

Cecily said...

I love your blog!! (I also love feeding the fish on the side bar, lol.) I'm glad you found my blog! Tarzan is pretty cute! :)

Shawneen said...

I cant wait to see some of his tricks! Maybe it will convice me to get one for the kids someday.
It was fun to see some of your earlier post. I am glad you guys are getting out and seeing all of what AZ has to offer. Ben and I loved doing that too!